LGMS About Us
The Lowcountry Gem and Mineral Society (LGMS) of Charleston, South Carolina is a non-profit organization. The society was chartered on April 18, 1969 by Skiles F. Montague. Our purpose is "to foster the interest in and to facilitate the study of gems, minerals, fossils, and other related fields of geology and earth sciences" throughout the Lowcountry.
The society is a founding member of the Southeast Federation of Mineralogical Societies, Inc. and an affiliate of the American Federation of Mineralogical Societies, Inc. The society is also a founding member of the Southeastern Federation earth sciences.
The Society is a non-profit organization whose purpose is “to foster the interest in and to facilitate the study of gems, minerals, fossils, and other related fields of geology and earth sciences.”
We welcome all ages, however, we do not have an established Youth Program. Instead, we incorporate our younger members into our meetings.
Within our community, our members often make presentations in the local schools and youth organizations about geology and fossils. For the past 2 years, we have participated in the Annual Kid's Fair of Charleston, SC. There, we involve the children and their parents in a Question and Answer sessions about the many display items, which come from our members. We also do mini fossil digs, like the one we have at our annual gem show, for the children.
Here is some information about fellow gem club organizations throughout SC and NC: http://www.amfed.org/sfms/club-nc-sc.html.
2015 OFFICERS & Committee Chairpersons:
(Officers can be contacted using the contact form and choosing the appropriate subject line.)
- President: Larry Moss (interim)
- Vice-President: Larry Moss
- Secretary: Katie Huemmer
- Treasurer: Mark Easterbrook
(Committee Chairpersons can be contacted using the contact form, choosing the appropriate subject line and mentioning their name in the comments area.)
- Program Chairperson: Whit McMillan
- Budget Chairperson: Carol Pierce
- Public Relations Chair: Yvonne Gillis
- Field Trip Chairperson: Larry Moss
- By-Laws Chairperson: Whit McMillan
- Membership Chairperson: Barb Brenneman
- Newsletter Editor: Mark Easterbrook
- Chaplain: Marty Kersey
- Nominating Chairperson: Ken Brenneman
- Host/Hostess: Anne Turner
- Club Show Chairperson: Karen Havenstein
- Dealer Chairperson: Karen Havenstein
- State Director Liaison: Mark Easterbrook
Meetings are held the second Thursday of each month at the Ashley River Fire Department on Dorchester Road, North Charleston, South Carolina. Meetings begin at 6:30 pm with refreshments and fellowship. The business portion of the meeting begins at 7:00 pm. Visitor and guests are welcome.
Each meeting has a pre-planned program designed by our Program chairperson, Walt McNay, including educational videos, silent auctions each quarter to benefit our scholarship program and "Show and Tell".
Club Meeting Dates in 2011: Second Thursday of Every Month
- January 08 (First Meeting of the Year)
- February 12
- March 12
- April 09 (Getting Ready for the Show)
- May 14 (Silent Auction)
- June 11
- July (Summer Month - No Meeting)
- August (Summer Month - No Meeting)
- September 10 (First Meeting of Second Half of Year)
- October 08 (Membership Dues are due.)
- November 12
- December 10 (Annual Holiday Party.)
Annual Lowcountry Gem Show - First Weekend in May (Saturday and Sunday)